Recorded: February 19, 2008
Your Hosts: Keith Albright and Steve Murawski
Show Length: 49:44

Thanks for listening and we hope you enjoy.

Links mentioned in this show:

Read the full show notes here.

Website Picks:

Keith Dr. Randy Pausch’s last lecture

Listen Now:

Download Here

Comments

1. 1
    Kip
    February 22nd, 2008 at 6:41 pm

great intro to the podcast…nice to see the Dick Van Dyke School of British Impersonations is still alive and kicking.

2. 2
    Doug
    February 23rd, 2008 at 10:08 am

Relax guys…I’m just giving ya’s a hard time. I do enjoy the show, just sometimes it seems to drag in the beginning.

Doug – Pasadena, MD

3. 3
    Doug
    February 23rd, 2008 at 10:31 am

I guess I should also mention that I’m in the same business you’re in. I work in the DC area as a DoD contractor to a research lab and I and three other coworkers support several hundred people on various platform configurations. Their collective demands are high which for us means the levels of interoperability complexity are enormous.

We run a multisite Windows domain (presently Win2k3 Native AD) and have three E2k3 servers, several clustered file servers, two SAN’s, and a host of other scattered onesy-twosy style app servers such as PRO-E, Unigraphics, and other CAD key servers. We run a few versions of Linux and also have 2 OSX servers in support of several Mac people who refuse to use Windows (hey, I like OSX too, but it’s not workin’ too well in the enterprise right now).

I’m the “stuckee” for bringing everything we run on the backend up-to-snuff…..E2k7, Server 2k8, Vista clients, DPM2k7 instead of BackupExec, SQL updates, System Center 2k7 deployment….etc etc. All the while dealing with the headaches of constant barrage of patch updates for everything.

You guys are in-the-trenches so to speak, just like me. Your show content contains a tremendous amount of practical hands-on experience regarding the “real-world” implementations of tech, in my opinion.

I suppose my little anonymous “rant” last week was more frustration, based on the fact that most podcasts that claim to be about similar things are more often than not about the “news” of such items…………NOT the actual success and failures of hands-on implementation…..the experimentation, if you will, of pre-deployment testing and then final rollout.

Didn’t mean to burn you guys….it just seemed to drag on and on more and more often in the beginning. You’re right though…..I’ve got a FF button, but I’d be afraid to miss that one cool tidbit of info during that “slow” period in the beginning.

Regards!!
    Doug – Pasadena, MD

4. 4
    Luke. Adelaide. Aus.
    February 24th, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Hi Guys.
    Great podcast, just love it.
    I loved the monty python segment! hahaha
    Couple of points:
    1. I dont think you need to move the comedy to a separate place, keep it in the podcast
    2. I like the name of the show, its truly geek roots.

Disclaimer: Ive only been listening to the show for a few months so I dont have name fatigue yet (-;

Keep up the great work.

Kind regards.
    Luke Vanderfluit.
    Adelaide. Australia

5. 5
    Curtis
    February 25th, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Please keep the comedy in the podcast. I don’t want to have to keep up with another feed.

6. 6
    Chris
    February 27th, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Guys,

I’ve been listening to your podcast for few months and I think you are doing a great job. I’m not really into a lot of comedy but the news segments were great. I think you should leave them in the podcast. I thought those segments set you apart from other podcast’s out their.

7. 7
    terri
    October 29th, 2008 at 1:24 pm

comments:

Dear Doug – (anonymous) over all thought(s) about your posting – bit me!

I concur w/the rest of the posting(s)…
    2. I like the name of the show, its truly geek roots.

I like your style of post cast and will recommend this to all my students.